Sunday, January 8, 2012

What makes me a "Super Mom"

What makes me a Super Mom you ask.  Well, its not because I'm perfect.  When people talk of supermoms, you think of someone who is always perfectly coifed, has perfect children, bakes, sews, and is well, perfect.  I personally don't think these people exist.  I also believe it is detrimental to our society and our health to try and be these so called "supermoms".  My life has shown that there is no such thing as perfect or normal.  Everyone has flaws and everyone has quirks and differences.  That's what make us human and what makes us, US.


So, what do I think makes a Super Mom?  A Super Mom...

  • embraces her flaws.  I don't like to clean, and to be honest, I'm not very good at it.  What I'm talking about is toilets, mopping, that kind of cleaning.  I don't mind doing laundry, vacuuming, tidying up, organizing, but I hate doing all the other stuff.  So, while I tried to do it all, I can't.  So, I have someone come into my house every two weeks to do a good clean of my bathrooms, kitchen and floors.
  • admits when she's wrong.  If I've yelled at my kids because I'm cranky or something is bothering me, I will apologize once I've calmed down.  "I'm sorry I yelled at you.  There was no need for that.  I am just really frustrated and tired and I took it out on you.  Can you forgive me?"
  • doesn't take things personally.  If my daughter says she hates me, I don't take it personally.  She's almost a teenager and you never know the kind of reaction you are going to get when you ask her something.  You could get the happy response, indifferent response, or angry response.  It's not my fault.  It's her hormones!
  • takes care of herself.  When I need to get away, I do.  Even if it's just locking myself in the bathroom with my phone to play a game of Soduku for five minutes.  If I don't take care of myself, how can I take care of my children?
  • listens.  This is a hard one.  It's so hard to listen to our kids without jumping in and trying to fix things.  I try to listen to what my kids say, not just hear their words, but listen.  I also give them every opportunity to talk to me.  If I know something is up and I ask, is there something wrong and my daughter says "nothing".  I say "I can tell something is bothering you but if you don't want to talk to me about it now that's okay.  When your ready come find me."
  • doesn't judge.  Just because people, or your children, do something that you don't approve of or wouldn't do yourself, doesn't make it wrong.  Unless its abusive in anyway.  Try to find out why they do that and talk it through. 
  • leads by example.  How can you expect your children to be polite if your constantly demanding them to do things, or don't use the magic words yourself?  How can you punish your kids for swearing if you swear?  I admit it, I swear.  I try not too, but I'm human.  My kids swear sometimes, but they know not too in front of Grandma and Grandpa, or in certain situations.  Does it still happen, of course.  But we talk about it after and it works for us.
  • asks for help.  When I feel I'm in over my head or stressed to the max, I ask for help.  I don't think it's weak, or a cop out.  If I'm drowning, I need someone to save me.
I try to live by the above list, but I am human and don't always succeed.  But that makes me human and I'm perfectly fine with that.  As long as I try my hardest to be the best me I can be, what more can I ask for.

This is my first blog, and my first post.  I am going to use this blog to write about my experiences, share my frustrations and celebrate the successes of my life.  In future posts I will share my views on having a child with special needs and unschooling; being a dance mom; raising daughters; and whatever else I feel like writing about.  I hope these posts will make you laugh, think, be inspired, and feel supported in your choices.

Thanks for reading!
Tiffany


No comments:

Post a Comment