Sunday, January 8, 2012

What makes me a Super Mom Part deux

As I was folding laundry, yes I may not clean, but I do laundry :-), I thought of 3 more very important things that can make you, and makes me, a "Super Mom".


In no particular order...

  • I follow my gut!  What I mean by this is I listen to that little voice inside my head, my mother's instinct, that feeling of unease or anxiety that something isn't right or is.  What Oprah calls the little whisper.  The natural instincts we are born with, but life and society, teach us to ignore.  This all started when my youngest daughter was born, and sick.  That is a whole other post.  One of the latest and most difficult was pulling Charlotte from school.  It would have been so easy to leave her in and try to work within the system, but my instincts told me she needed something "radical" for her education and so began our path with unschooling. (I'll post about that some other time too)
  • let your kids make their own decisions.  How else are they going to learn?  The other day I asked Charlotte to get dressed and she came down in a shorts romper.  It's winter, not terribly cold, but too cold to go out in what she had picked.  My immediate reaction was not one of a "super mom" but one that was easy.  "You can't wear that it's too cold"  Well we started to get into an argument "WHY?!?  IT'S NOT COLD IN THE HOUSE?!" and then my instinct said loud and clear "So what if she wears that?"  I took a step back and then said to myself "You're right".  I suggested to her, that because she was going out to Grandma's her legs would get pretty cold.  How about she put on a pair of sweat pants to go to Grandmas and then when she gets there she can take them off.  She immediately said "Great idea" and the argument (tantrum) stopped.  If only I had done that in the first place :-)
  • be flexible.  When you have a child with special needs or medical issues, you learn this pretty fast.  But it applies to all kids and all our lives really.  You can start the day with a set plan of what you are going to do and how long it will take, but, honestly, when does it ever work out that way when you have kids?  It's okay to have a plan of what you want to accomplish, but don't beat yourself up if the entire plan goes to shit.  You'll get things done when they need to get done.  Being flexible helps you let go of A LOT of anxiety and stress.  It won't get rid of it completely, but it will help.
These are, I think, 3 of the main points to being a "Super Mom".  It took me awhile to get there, and I don't always do it, but I try to most of the time.

Thanks again for reading,
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment