Monday, January 16, 2012

What's happening in society and schools today is maddening!

I have to take a break in my 4 part series to post these thoughts.  I just watched Anderson and his show today he had cast members from Toddlers & Tiaras and a BRAVE young girl and her mother, and I have to say a few words about it.

I’m not going to get into Toddler’s & Tiaras and what I think, because I am not going to waste my time and energy on this subject.  Depending on your audience, talking about this and expressing your views can be like flogging a dead horse.  What I do want to talk about is the young girl and her mother.

This young girl, I believe she is 14 (missed that part) was BRUTALLY ATTACKED in her Biology class, during an exam, by at least 2 other girls.  Her attackers accused her of making a comment about one of them, and when she said she wasn’t talking about them, and didn’t say it, they pounced.  The video is horrific, brutal and it took 7 MINUTES FOR SOMEONE TO STOP THE FIGHT!  WHAT?!?!?!?  There are so many things to say about this.

  1. Why did it take 7 minutes for someone to step in?  Well you could ask why a fellow student videotaped it and didn’t stop it.  He said he feels so guilty about it and would gladly take the 2 days suspension for stepping in and stopping the fight
  2. Why would you get suspended for stopping a fight?  That makes absolutely no sense at all.  Can someone please explain it to me?
  3. Apparently there are panic buttons in the classrooms and the teacher pushed it.  The Security Guards came but they needed to wait for back up as it took a few people to get these girls off of her.  Why do schools need security guards?  Isn’t this sending the wrong kind of message to the students of the school.   I don’t remember having security guards at my school.
  4. Other than pushing the panic button, why didn’t the teacher do anything?  Try to step in, get some of the bigger boys in the class to help, go get another teacher from an adjacent classroom?  Are we that afraid of getting sued for some reason that we forget to do the right thing?  Are we so concerned about ourselves that we can’t step in and help a 14 year old from getting viciously attacked by more than one other person?
  5.  Why did those girls feel the need to be so violent?  They didn’t know this girl?  What is going on in their lives for them to act this way.   This makes me very sad.
This young girl is so brave because she has gone back to her school to show people that she is strong and not going to let this bring her down.  Also she is speaking publicly about it with her mother’s support and guidance.  I applaud this young woman and her mother for being strong and setting a good example for not hiding, but sickened by the fact it happened at all and wasn’t stopped sooner.  This just another example that society and the education in North America are broken and need to be fixed.

Rant over, thanks for reading
Tiffany

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog and you truly spoke the truth! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paolo. The fact your read it and your support, means a lot. I'm proud of me too :-)

      Delete